Sunday, April 26, 2009

Walking in Houston

Nothing much to report actually. We got back to the room at 4. Jim rested and I walked to Rice village to eat and bring back food for him. So far so good. No nausea. He is tired, of course ,but this was a long day. Tomorrow will be shorter.

Walking to Rice village tonight i thought again about the diversity of the neighborhood--making it such a great place for a stroll. No two houses are alike. Ultramodern sits next to a stone cottage with a picket fence. Palm trees dot the yards of spanish style homes. Live oaks stretch from yard to yard. Crepe myrtles line the walkways. Each house is an expression of the people who live in it. One I love has cobalt blue doors with cobalt planters on the brick front porch. A paint choice that would elicit a "What were they thinking?" in Germantown seems perflectly appropriate here.

Hindu goddesses peer across the fence at a statue of the Virgin Mary. Hispanic nannies push Asian babies in fancy strollers. African American toddlers play in the yards with Hispanic children.

Even the pets are a hodgepodge of breeds. Fat tabbies and sleek Siamese lounge in the sunny driveways. In the evening senior citizens walk little lap dogs and generation X'ers are led by the designer breeds--Schnoodles, and poodles and Labradoodles.

Isn't diversity wonderful? Not that we really experience much of it. Most of the people I spend time with look and think the way I do. When I was thinking of starting a book club, I told Nicole I would like to have a diverse group but my friends are a pretty homogeneous group. Her suggestion was to find an Iranian lesbian attorney. Bound to get some different ideas there--all in one invitation.

Today when I was walking by myself I thought how much I missed Jim saying, "Do you have your cell phone? Where's the room key? Watch out! You nearly stepped in front of that car." Just as he would end up with a port-a-cath in his ear without me, I would never get on the right plane or even in the right car without him following me around.

Wouldn't the world be a dull place if we were all alike?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cyndi on Jim's update.
    I know it is tough and he is so very strong, stronger than he thinks he is.
    You & Jim's ministry and faith are a triubute to us all.

    GOD has a very strong Right Hand and he is holding Jim so very close, and will get him through this.
    Always in my prayers,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete