Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chemo side-effects

Jim is now feeling the effects of the chemo that he took on Thursday and Friday. Last night he had restless leg syndrome--probably from the Decadron. Just about the time he would fall asleep he would jerk to attention. The drugs in the preinfusion must be doing their work because he has not been nauseated. Yesterday he was pretty cranky--with good reason. It has to be difficult to feel crummy and know that this is just the beginning of a long ordeal.

The air conditioning is not working in the downstairs addition (bedroom) and the repair man can't come until Monday. Last night wasn't bad. We can go upstairs if necessary but we both want to sleep in our own bed after sleeping at the Holiday Inn for 5 days. In 2002 when we came home from the hospital, I was surprised that the world hadn't stopped in light of Jim's diagnosis. WE had leaks and varmints in the attic and other problems that nearly broke the camel's back. This time I was better prepared to deal with minor aggravations knowing that life goes on.

I'm a little rusty on my caregiving techniques. He planned to go to church this morning but I didn't think that was possible. Then i remembered that I needed to take charge of the decision. So I said, "I really don't want to go to church tomorrow. I'm just exhausted."THis relieved him of the responsibility of making the decision.

This morning he was glad because he felt worse. He has been sleeping all morning on the screened-in porch, feeling generally miserable--flu-like aches and pains. He ate a little dry cereal for breakfast but has no appetite.I'm so glad we added the porch two years ago. He can watch TV out there in the cool breeze and feel as if he's outside.

I'm taking up the slack--gladly--realizing how much Jim does around here. The trash, unloading groceries, rnning errands, going to the post office, pumping gas. When he was working we had a very traditional division of labor. I pretty much did the household tasks and he brought home the bacon. Since he retired he pitches right in with the work here. I'm spoiled but then I have always been. I've never taken him for granted.

Guess I'll go to Lowes and get some plants--always a good pick-me-up.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cyndi, Did you find some good flowers? It was a beautiful day. Hope that Jim feels better tomorrow. Let me know if you need any tomato plants. I started mine from seed this year and have too many. Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,

    He feels a little better today. Still has a bad headache. Praying for a good night and better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete