Saturday, March 27, 2010

Share your Burden

I must admit that I am having difficulty blogging about cancer. It seems to me that I have said everything there is to say and that you all must be as sick of hearing about cancer as I am of talking about it.
Yet I realize that with the book sales and media publicity, we are reaching a different audience--people who are newly diagnosed and looking to us for encouragement and direction. They are in the middle of a raging sea and I want to help them stay afloat.
Therefore,I will try to blog more regularly even if the subject isn't cancer related.

Today's advice for the those starting out on the journey--join a support group. If your loved one is too ill to attend, go alone. Sharing your burden will lighten your load. I love Matthew 11:28,30. "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." But sometimes it helps to talk to "someone with skin" as my three-year-old grandson once said. Paradoxically, the times when you feel least like reaching out are the times you most need to.

I know there aren't many faith based support groups [www.faithsupportgroup.com] but most major cancer centers offer support of some kind. Contact me and I might be able to make some suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed you are a follower of my first blog and I am so excited to say that I have to agree that God is awesome! I had always heard "when God closes a door, he opens a window", but never really knew what that meant. I am engaged to a widower who understands the deep loss I have experienced. His children have lost a parent and are well adjusted. Our children love each other and we are very much looking forward to the "together forever"life we are beginning... all 7 of us!

    ReplyDelete