Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Miracle

I know I haven't posted much lately. I have been swamped between getting my book ready for the publisher and taking care of Jim during this last round of chemo. But I had to share this good news with you who have been such faithful prayer warriors. Jim was diagnosed with Stage 3B lung cancer in November of 2002. We were told at the time that fewer than 10% with that diagnosis survive for 5 years.

After some grueling treatment and radiation, the lung cancer laid low but he was diagnosed in 2005 with prostate cancer. Surgery took care of that. Then in 2008 he had a recurrence of the lung cancer near the spine. In March of this year another recurrence to the bone and the pleural lining of the lung. More chemo.

That brings us up to last week when he went to Houston for scans following his eighth chemo treatment. This is what happened.


When Dr. rios came in he peeked around the door and said,"Where
is my champion?" Jim either didn't hear him or simply didn't get the
significance of his the question.

He entered the room smiling and said,"There are some things that
medicine can't explain. My friend George Foreman said that education is
the beginning of moving away from God. But I think that as we learn
more we realize that we don't know very much." He turned to Jim. "God is working through
you."

"I have no explanation for what has occurred but Dr. Stenoine and I
have gone over the scan results and there is NO cancer."

Jim and I sat there staring dumbly at him trying to absorb the news he
gave us. Finally Jim said,"do you mean it's completely gone?"

He started to cry and Dr. Rios left the room to give us time to enjoy
the moment.

When he came back in, I asked him,"So are you calling this a bona fide
miracle?"

" Depends on your definition , but according to mine, yes. I don't know
of any lung cancer patients who are cancer free after 7 years with
stage four disease and 2 recurrences. "

"What did you really expect to find today?" I asked.

"Well I would have expected further reduction in the tumor in the bone
but probably not in the lung."

Jim says he never expected to hear the words "cancer free" in this
lifetime. It truly is a miracle and evidence of God's healing power.

What a mighty God we serve. He is still in the miracle business.

No comments:

Post a Comment