Saturday, March 3, 2012

Confucius say: Don't throw out baby with bathwater.

If you read my last post, Chinese Medicine: Panacea or Poppycock, you might conclude that I fall into the Poppycock camp. I don’t. But neither do I belong the Panacea camp. It is difficult for me to accept a mode of treatment which is not based on the anatomical structure of the human body. However, I concede that some aspects of Traditional Chinese medicine are helpful in certain situations even if I can’t accept the theories and philosophies on which they are based.

For example, Qigong, a “TCM system of exercise and meditation that combines regulated breathing, slow movement, and focused awareness” undoubtedly helps with relaxation, flexibility, and strength whether or not it controls the flow of “chi.” The gentle exercise probably does not have a direct effect on cancer, but it does effect the overall well being of the patient—possibly even boosting the immune system. Should you try it? Why not? Can’t do any harm.

There is emerging clinical evidence that acupuncture is effective in alleviating some medical conditions—side effects of chemotherapy, osteoarthritis, migraines, depression, and many other pain related symptoms. Because acupuncture has been deemed safe and without complications, I wouldn’t hesitate to try it for pain control. However, it is not a cure for the underlying condition.

Tui Na is a form of massage akin to acupressure (from which shiatsu evolved). Oriental massage is typically administered with the patient fully clothed, without the application of grease or oils. Choreography often involves thumb presses, rubbing, percussion, and stretches.” Again, I see no reason not to try this form of gentle massage. You don’t have to understand how it works to enjoy the benefits.

“Regarding Traditional Chinese herbal therapy, only a few trials of adequate methodology exist and its effectiveness therefore remains poorly documented.” Some of the herbs used in Chinese medicine are probably effective. No surprise, since many of our modern medicines are made from herbs. The problem with using herbs is in quality and quantity control. I have, in the past, taken herbs for energy, general well being, and minor health concerns, but I am always aware that they are not to be taken carelessly. Over the years I have tried the “herb a la mode” including cats claw, goldenseal, echinacea, ginkgo biloba, arnica, and a host of others. I no longer take herbs because I didn’t see any difference when taking them and, frankly, I got tired of taking (and paying for) so many supplements. I would not recommend herbal medicines for anyone with a serious disease.

Chinese food therapy according to Wikipedia is a practice in the belief of healing through the use of natural foods instead of medications. The underlying idea behind this practice is the balance of energy, Yin and Yang, through the use of “hot” and “cold” foods. This has nothing to do with temperature but rather the very essence of the food ingested. Who can deny the nutritional benefits of onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, mushrooms, and cucumber? But if my health practitioner asked me to eat a bird’s nest (that is the literal nest of a bird not the yummy noodle dish served in Chinese restaurants) or swallow broth made of duck gizzards, I don’t think I’d partake. Nor would I intentionally ingest ear wax, toe nails, or dandruff. But then “Chacun son gout” or “‘Everybody to their own notion,’ said the old lady when she kissed the cow.”

In my opinion, which is supported by controlled studies, the afore mentioned modalities of Traditional Chinese Medicine are harmless and possibly helpful in treating some medical conditions or or symptoms. I would not use them instead of conventional medicine for the treatment of cancer but would consider them as complements to a physician- directed cancer protocol. If you are a caregiver trying to reduce stress and maintain your health, you might consider these treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment