Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Caregiver's New Year Resolutions

Although New Years Eve is my least favorite holiday, I love the onset of the New Year. A New Year signifies a new beginning, a fresh start, a chance to look at where we’ve been and where we are going.


I, like most people, make resolutions but seldom keep them all. Rather than berate myself for my lack of follow-through, I recognize the value of making the resolutions in the first place. I view them as goals which if practiced long enough might become habits. At the very least, I am headed in the right direction.


A caregiver’s goals should not add stress to an already stressful existence. They should be attainable and designed to improve well-being, both in mind and body.
Here are ten goals I have set for 2012. Remember, my husband is in remission; I have more time than when he is in treatment. My goals might be too ambitious for you or not ambitious enough.


A Caregivers New Year Resolutions

1. Set alarm fifteen minutes earlier.

2. Before getting out of bed, give thanks for five things.

3. Read Bible and daily devotional.

4. Exercise at least four days per week. (mixing Pilates, Barre Tone, walking)

5. Spend average of 30 minutes per day writing. (newsletter, blog, new book) No FB or email until writing is finished.

6. Blog. Blog. Blog.

7. Drink one vegetable smoothie or fresh juice drink five days per week.

8. Read and respond to emails twice daily—only.

9. Limit FB, Pinterest, and on line shopping to 20 min per day.

10. When I hit the bed, give thanks for five things.


On day three, my resolve is holding. In upcoming posts, I will elaborate on my resolutions AND let you know how I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment