Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Courage

Almost always the obituary of a cancer patient refers to his "courageous battle with cancer."

Makes me wonder--are all cancer patients courageous?

Courage requires action in the face of danger. It does not require absence of fear but rather action in spite of fear.

When I had a cold a few weeks ago, each morning I woke up expecting to feel better. I wasn't terribly sick just tired and lacking energy. I hated wasting time not feeling well, not accomplishing anything.

Then I realized: This is how Jim feels every day. His major side effect from the chemo is fatigue. Every day he gets up as tired as when he went to bed. Yet, he has the courage to keep taking the very drugs that keep him in a state of exhaustion. This perseverance in the face of unremitting pain and suffering is heroic. How much easier it would be to say, "I quit. I give up. I can't take it."

Are all cancer patients courageous? Maybe not. But all that I've met are.

No comments:

Post a Comment